Saturday, April 7, 2012

Remembering: A Good Friday Refelction


This reflection was inspired by the song, "I Will Remember Thee" by Jay Althouse.


It is hard to remember, because I would rather not.
I don’t want to remember the brutality.
I don’t want to remember the betrayal.
I don’t want to remember the desertion.
I don’t want to remember the denial.

Remembering the pain of that Friday, so long ago, hurts.
It forces me to remember my own brutality, betrayal, denial, and desertion.

It forces me to remember my own failures and losses.

It’s hard to remember.
I would rather not.

But we must remember.
Tonight we hear again the story and we remember.
We remember O Lord your sacrifice.
We remember your body broken.
We remember so we might know forgiveness.
We remember so we might know love.
We remember so we might know grace.

We remember O’ Lord not because we want to, but because we need to.

We need to remember those who hit you, called you names, whipped you, nailed you to the tree, so that we might not hate but love.
We need to remember that you were left alone deserted by your friends, so that we might hold our loved ones closer.
We need to remember your betrayal so that we might be willing to give more.
We need to remember your denial so that we might confess you as our Lord.

Yes, remembering this night reminds us of our brokenness
It reminds us for our own loss.
It reminds us of our own pain.
It reminds us of our sin.

But it also reminds us of your love.
It reminds us of your faithfulness.
It reminds us of your grace.
It reminds us that you are with us in all things.

When we are lost you are there.
When we are in pain you are there.
When we sin you are there.

Let not forget this night.
Let us remember your love, sacrifice, and grace.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment