Sunday, March 22, 2020

For God's Glory


I spent some time this week calling people in our congregation to check in and see how people are doing.
I am glad to say that most people are doing OK.
We are all a little befuddled about what is happening.
I heard a lot of people say something like, "It is really unbelievable".
I also heard some express concern about what is happening.
Some people are mad about what is happening.
They see the economic impact and are mad that we are taking such drastic steps.
Maybe we should have worship.
Maybe we should have school.
Maybe the restaurants and other business should stay open.
We are only talking about 1% of the population dying.
We don't have all the information.
The media is making more of this than it is.
Politicians don't know what they are doing.
Maybe all that is true.
I don't think it is.
I think we are following the advice of the CDC and WHO.
We are listening to science and medical people.

But my job is not to defend the media, politicians, science.
It is to bring good news.
And I want you to know that there is good news in this time.
First and most important we always have Jesus Christ.
Jesus reminds us that our lives are more than what we make, what our job is.
It is more than flesh and bone.
It is also Spirit and soul.
And that is what I want us to focus on this morning.
Because what good does it do to be mad about this.
We can't control it.
Well….that usually makes us mad when we can't control something.
This morning I want us to look at this from a the spirit and soul angle.

And our Gospel for this morning is a great guide.
I actually talked about this Gospel story last week, not realizing it was the assigned text for today.
But it is perfect for today.
Because Jesus reminds us that the man's blindness is not because of sin.
It is not caused by God, but it is for God's glory.
It is so those around him will realize a spiritual truth they have been missing.
I think the coronavirus can do the same thing for us.
It can be used for God's glory.
And that is what I want you to think about this morning.
How is it revealing God's glory in your life?
Let me share a couple of things I think it is doing for me.

I get to slow down.
I have not had any night time meetings.
It has meant more time at home with my wife and kids.
We have played games, made delicious food, watched movies, listened to music, and talked.
Of course, we have our moments of frustration with each other, but overall it has been a wonderful time to slow down and enjoy each other.

I have gotten to go on long walks with my wife.
We went out a couple of times.
On those walks we talk.
We also have gotten to see a couple of you along the way.
We have looked together for signs of spring.
We saw flowers starting to bloom, rivers running, sun shining, and people out and about.
When you slow down and walk you see things you never saw before.
I have heard from many of you that one of the things you miss most is worship.
What a wonderful insight.
One person told me they didn't know how much our worship together mean to them until now!
Indeed we are seeing when things are taken away just how valuable things are.

I am not saying that God sent the Coronavirus so that we could learn to spend more time with our families, so we could see spring springing up, or so we could see how much worship mean to us.
But since we are here in this time let us use it for God's glory.
Because this is the time we are in.
This is the situation we are in.
We might not like it.
We might not think it is right or fair.
But we are here so why not look for the ways that God is moving in this time?

I was thinking this week about when my mother was diagnosed with cancer.
It was about 8 years ago now.
And of course I would have preferred that she never got cancer.
But because of that I have experience so many blessings that I would have missed otherwise.
For example, when my mother went for her first chemo treatment, my two sisters and I went with her.
We had a lovely day.
Talking, laughing, reliving old times.
And it dawned on me that this never happens.
Whenever we are together it is a big family moment.
There are cousins, aunts, and our significant others.
There is normally no time in our busy lives for just the four of us to be together.
And it probably wouldn't have happened without this moment.
It was a day I will always treasure.
It was a gift from God, and it came among a really horrible thing that was happening in our family.
I encourage you to look for these moments in your life during this time.
I know you will have moments that are disheartening.
There will be days when you hate the coronavirus (actually I have already had this day).
I hope for you days when amidst this awful time you will see the glory of God.
I hope for you to see the opportunity we have been given to slow down and appreciate life.
An opportunity to take a walk and see flowers budding up.

Because in John's Gospel being blind isn't only about not being able to physically see, it is also about missing the spiritual truth that is in front of you.
The blind man is not only cured of his physical blindness, but is able to believe in Jesus.
During this time of physical difficulty may we be able to spiritually see all the things that God is doing in our midst.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment